The green monster has been lurking around my house the past few days. No, not the one from Fenway Park in Boston. The green monster that makes you start thinking how you wish your life was different, how your house should be bigger or your car should be newer or your clothes should be trendier. I’ve been sitting around wishing that we made more money so that we could take vacations or buy every little thing our hear desires.
The monster creeped in this weekend after we visited with some friends at their new house. I want a new house with it’s shiny floors and stainless steel appliances. Yes, I’m very happy for my friends, but I want one, too! And then we went to another friend’s house for a party and I realized that we had the only little car in the driveway full of SUV’s and minivans (not that I want a minivan, but still). I want an SUV, too! Isn’t it funny how easily the monster finds its way in the door?
So last night I had to sit down and clear my mind and focus on all the things God has blessed us with. We have so much more than we need. When you look at Boomama’s blog and see those children in Africa who live with 5 other people in a one-room shack, you realize how much you have. I’m so blessed that I have a roof and clothes and food and gas for my car. And I have a healthy family and we have lots of love in our home.
Still, I do want some of those things on my list. It’s not bad to have goals and dreams, but we have to keep it all in perspective. When it’s all said and done, we can’t take any of that with us. So my prayer today is that I do keep things in perspective and I never take for granted all the blessings in my life.
Hopefully soon the only green monster in my life will be the one in Boston!
4 comments:
Serah, I understand. But we each make our own choices and live with the consequences of those choices. I want things, but I do not want to be in debt to have them, so waiting for them, and saving for them makes them even more valuable.......it's all a matter of choices, isn't it?
(((Serah))) You want our SUV? I actually can't wait to have a small car again! The grass is always greener, right? Good for you for being honest about your feelings and even going public with them. A lot of us would not have the courage to admit to envy, even though we all feel it at times. It really all comes to realizing that we all have different gifts and paths and purposes to our lives and that we all have to run our own race. I have this yoga tape and in one part the instructor says to stretch your legs all the way to the side and then elaborates by saying, "All the way means your all the way...for right now." I always love hearing her say that :-) You're right where your supposed to be...for right now. Once you've fulfilled your purpose...for right now, a new purpose and a new place in life will be ready for you and you'll be ready for it!
Oh, so that's his name! He comes around my house too. I figure he visits most everyone on occasion. I just didn't know what to call him. Thanks for stopping by my blog! I'll have to add you to my list of daily reads.
Take care,
Hillary
I love what daisyjen says at the end of her post: "All the way means your all the way...for right now." I always love hearing her say that :-) You're right where your supposed to be...for right now. Once you've fulfilled your purpose...for right now, a new purpose and a new place in life will be ready for you and you'll be ready for it!
Isn't that so true? Its the being patient part, patient about fulfilling your purpose thats so hard. We all want those things that we admire, those new and shiny and pretty things. Thats human nature. Serah, you are wise to see it for what it is, and to recognize your true and priceless blessings.
Post a Comment