Monday, June 25, 2007

No water towers were harmed during this birthday party

We played with balloons, we ate barbeque and way too much cake, opened presents and had all sorts of birthday fun Saturday. It was a great day.

Lennon and I split the birthday errands Saturday morning. He and Brady headed off to pick up the cake and I went to Party City to get the 21 John Deere birthday balloons. Apparently Saturday was a popular day for balloons seeing as I had to fight my way through Spider Man balloons, Sponge Bob Square Pants balloons, and Disney Princess balloons just to make it to the balloon desk. Mine were ready to go, so I floated out to the parking lot where it began to dawn on me that all those balloons might not fit in the car. What would I do? Let them blow out the window while I was doing 75 on the interstate (not that I ever exceed the posted speed limit)? Or beg a Minivan Mom to follow me home with my balloons? Thankfully, they all went right in and other than being unable to see out the back windshield, all went well.

I’ve mentioned before how much Brady loves balloon. Saturday I was sure that I could have simply gotten him 20 or 30 balloons for $15 instead of spending money on presents. He was having that much fun. Of course, if we had let him outside with all those balloons, he would probably be somewhere around Nova Scotia by now.

The cake was beyond perfect! Absolutely perfect. I was expecting a plastic tractor stuck on top, but they actually designed the tractor on the cake with icing. And it tasted great, too! The barbeque was equally as awesome. You have to love Sticky Fingers and their Memphis-style pulled pork.

The family arrived at 2pm and we ate shortly after that. Later in the afternoon we began opening presents. Most kids jump right in and start tearing paper as if their life depends on it. Not Brady. He likes to tear off piece by tiny piece, making his own confetti for next year’s party. He was in absolutely no rush at all. That wouldn’t have been so bad except when he got to the art box I had put together. In a moment of wrapping genus, I wrapped every art supply individually (box of crayons, box of markers, sidewalk chalk, etc.), put it in the container and then wrapped the container. I get this wrapping gene from my mom’s mother, who is a wrapping genius. The woman should seriously own stock in Scotch tape and Hallmark. My whole family groaned once they realized what I had done. But Brady enjoyed it. That’s what matters. J Unfortunately this let me know that Christmas morning is going to be very long and I might want to invest in lots of gift bags. Otherwise, it could take until New Year’s to get everything opened up.

Brady got a bubble mower from my parents, along with his zoo membership. He and Lennon went right out and started mowing away. This bubble mower really needs some speed behind it to get those bubbles going. It’s more like a bubble racer. But he loves it nonetheless.

It was a great party and everyone had a lot of fun. I’m glad it was relaxed and easy because next year I’m pulling out the stops and doing something big with his classmates and little friends.

I should have the pictures up soon and will post them so everyone can enjoy a little piece of our day.

Happy Monday!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

I just can't believe he is 2!!! How can it have been that long ago????

Happy Birthday, Big Boy!!!!