There have been two newsworthy items in our lives recently. No, I’m not pregnant so stop thinking that!
The first one is the surprise we pulled on my mom for her birthday this past Saturday. I hadn’t mentioned it here because I never know if she might stop in for a visit. She never takes time for herself and trying to plan a trip is next to impossible, so about two weeks ago my sister and I started planning a surprise for her birthday. Along with my dad, we arranged to take her to Helen, Georgia for the day. Helen is like Gatlinburg, but in Georgia. It’s a little Alpine themed town. Lots of little shops, restaurants, river tubing, miniature golf, etc. A little bit cheesy, but fun at the same time. My mom loves it, but she hadn’t been in ages. So we arranged all of her normal weekend errands to be taken care of and even got my sister’s riding lesson moved to Sunday. I got down to their house at 7:30am and the look on her face was priceless when we finally told her the big news. At first she tried to come up with some excuses, but quickly gave up when she realized we had taken care of everything. It was a really fun trip (that almost never was due to some bad Mapquest directions!). We shopped, ate, antiqued and laughed. I hope we can make another trip like that very soon. It couldn’t have gone better.
The other news is that I’m going back to school this fall! This may sound like a broken record to some people, but this year it’s finally happening. The timing, the finances, everything has fallen into place. It’s a total God Thing. I’m going to the local community college to finish up some basic classes, then I’ll be transferring to a local branch of the University of South Carolina. My goal – Bachelor of Arts in Non-Profit Administration. I worked for a long time at a hospital and I really feel like the non-profit world is for me. I’m not sure if I want to work for a charity organization (Red Cross, United Way, etc.). Nothing wrong with those, but I feel pulled more towards healthcare or maybe community affairs. It could even reach to the Chamber of Commerce or Visitors Bureau. So pray things continue to go well and that I can really focus and commit as much as possible to this. I’ll be taking two classes in the fall semester. That will be two nights away from home and that’s my max. My family still needs me and I still need them! I need to be a much better manager of my time; not only for my family, but with work and church responsibilities. Pray I’ll be able to say “NO” when I need to!
So that’s my news! Happy Tuesday!
7 comments:
sounds like a fabulous birthday...nothing like spending quality time with the fam. Congrats also on going back to school! You can do it!!!!!
Congratulations on going back to school! That's wonderful.
That's such a nice thing to do for your mom. We're suppose to go to Helen, GA this summer. I've never been there, but have relatives close by that keep insisting we go. We love Gatlinburg, so maybe we'll love that, too.
That is so great that you're going back to school! And I think that sounds like a perfect career track for you. Aside from the few math courses I had to take, I really enjoyed school and can't wait to go back. You'll have fun :-)
Glad you had fun in Helen. It is a neat little town. I can never remember the name of the place, but I can walk straight to it, anyway, they have these amazing Black Forest Funnel Cakes! Heaven on a paper plate! The next time you go, just ask someone where they sell the BF Funnel Cakes and they'll point you in the right direction!
Congrats on going back to school. I work for a non-profit and I love it.
Congrats on going back to school. I think you will really enjoy it. I would really like to go back and finish my masters....maybe one day.
I will have to tell my parents about Helen since they love Gatlinburg.
Congrats on going back to school! Thats fantastic!
Oh my gosh! How exciting!!! You are going to do great.
Post a Comment