Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Book Review - "Marie Antoinette - The Journey"


Well, I finally got those thank you notes finished from Christmas. It’s amazing how hard it can be sometimes to just sit down and work on something like that. There always seems to be something (or someone!) else that distracts me or needs my attention.

I’m very excited because my new Bible study starts tonight. We’re doing the updated version of Beth Moore’s “A Woman’s Heart, God’s Dwelling Place.” She has such a way of getting your attention and helping you understand even the most complicated things in Scripture. I can’t wait to see how it goes.

I did finish one of my Christmas books this past weekend. Marie Antoinette – The Journey by Antonia Fraser.

It takes you from before Marie Antoinette was born up until the very end of her life. It’s really a very tragic story. I feel like she was very misunderstood. Yes, they were very extravagant and excessive in their lifestyle, but that was all they had ever known. She didn’t come across as the cruel, heartless villain as she is so often portrayed. It’s a long book with lots of detail and you can sometimes get a little bogged down in the facts, but I’d definitely recommend it if you like history and particularly French history. Now I want to find a book about Versailles.

No comments: