Friday, September 14, 2007

It's beginning to look a lot like Halloween


If you’ve been in the stores lately, you’ve noticed that Halloween (and Christmas for that matter) isn’t far away. The aisles are already filled with candy, plastic pumpkin buckets, fake hands serving up a candy bowl, and all manner of make-up and fake blood. And costumes. These days, if you can dream it, you can dress like it.

Now I’m a little funny about Brady’s Halloween costumes (I know, I’m a little funny about a lot of things). Since he’s only 2, I still make the decision on his costume and where we buy it. One day soon he’ll want to be Spiderman or some other cheap-looking costume from Walmart (No offense to anyone whose child got their Spiderman costume from WM) and I’ll deal with that then. For now, thought, I get to pick.

The first year, Brady was a cow. Unfortunately, I don’t have any pictures online of that adorable little black and white sweat suit-type outfit with ears and a tail. The thing barely fit by actual Halloween and I almost ripped his head off trying to get it one. Good times.

Last year, he was a pirate:




We got tons of compliments on this costume and many people thought I made it myself. Old Navy, people. And they have the same one this year if you’re interested. I was really worried he would burn up because it was a very heavy costume and down here in SC, Halloween can often be sunny and 85F. Thankfully, a major cold front swept in and it was in the 50’s that night. My little matey was warm and cozy while gathering his booty.

This year I really want to do an Elvis costume. I know this is probably the last year I get to pick and seeing how we’re from Memphis, Elvis would be so much fun. Can’t you just picture the jumpsuit and the cape and the slicked back hair and gold sunglasses on a two year old? I’ve searched and searched and can only find one toddler Elvis costume. And it’s tacky. I know, you’re saying “It’s an Elvis costume. OF COURSE IT’S GOING TO BE TACKY!” But this one is tacky in a cheap way. I’m still searching, but my little Hunka Hunka Burning Love may not be stepping out in his Blue Suede Shoes this October 31st. (Don’t you love these puns?!)

I’m throwing around the idea of a cowboy. That would be so easy and he’s already got jeans and a western-style brown corduroy shirt from Old Navy. Add a few accessories and we’d be set. We’ll see. I think I put way too much thought into these things. In fact, I know I put way too much thought into these things.

Hopefully everyone is getting some cooler temperatures for the weekend. Have a good one!

2 comments:

Michelle said...

OH...Blue Suede shoes would be sooo cool, especially if you could take a little music player along and play some Elvis tunes so he could channel the big E all night.

Paula@SweetPea said...

Elvis is a great idea for a costume. His pirate one from last year is adorable, too.