Friday, September 12, 2008

Adventures in Potty Training

I’ll be the first to tell you, Brady’s been a relatively easy child. In the great scheme of things, he’s been a breeze. No problems sleeping, no problems when he started eating baby food or real food, took to a milk at age 1 without a fuss, no sippy cup issues. Even his binky wasn’t a big deal. He stopped using it during the day when he was 1 and quit using it at naps/bedtime at age 3 (and that was really because I let him use it that long). He’s been in day care since he was 4 months old (I can hear the gasps now) and other than your normal separation anxiety, he’s always adjusted well to new people and new situations. But potty training – this is a whole new ballgame.

Maybe it’s my fault. I didn’t even start until his 3rd birthday. He just wasn’t interested and I didn’t want it to drag out over a year because he wasn’t ready. Well, I’m ready and he’s been showing signs of readiness, so we’re hitting the potty training hard. At least we’re trying. He has yet to pee in the potty once! I know he can pee. Why can’t he do it in the potty? His teacher at school reassures me this is normal and some kids just take their time.

Last night we (well, he) sat on the potty for 20 minutes. He was reading books and quite content. No peeing. So I put underwear on him for the first time and sent him into the living room. I walked back to our bedroom (it’s not a big house, so it wasn’t that far) and I hear “Mommy, I’m wet!” WHY COULDN’T HE HAVE DONE THAT DURING THE 20 MINUTES HE WAS SITTING ON THE POTTY????? No, I didn’t yell at him, don’t worry. But I did quickly move him to the bathroom and explain that we do that in the potty.

I know he won’t go to high school or college in diapers, but my goodness, this is frustrating! Please send me some “happy potty thoughts!”

Have a great weekend!

2 comments:

duchess said...

It just takes time. It took even longer for both of mine to poop in the potty.
Good luck & just have lots of patience.

JJ said...

Hey! Thanks for viewing my blog. I do love Chicora Alley...especially the fried macaroni!