
Vacation Bible School started last night at church. Our theme is Power Lab! It’s science-themed, lots of experiments and teachers running around in lab coats. The kids are loving it. I don’t know about you, but I have some really great memories of VBS when I was a kid. Lots of generic sandwich cookies and kool-aid, learning fun songs, playing tag and red rover and a craft involving blue feathers. Those were the days!
This is my first year to help with VBS and I’m in charge of the 1st and 2nd graders, 20 of them to be exact. 12 boys. My word! I’m hoping the first night is the hardest since I’m still getting to know everyone and figuring out who will need more attention (or supervision) than others. My job is to lead them from music to crafts to games to snack, etc. Thankfully I have two helpers who can make sure we don’t lose anyone along the way.
One boy (not in my group) broke his arm in the gym last night. I felt so badly for him. I also felt badly for our coordinator because I know that’s just how she wanted to start off the week, with an ambulance pulling up to the church. My group was on their way to snack time in the gym, so we had to hold up in the hallway while they tended to the injured. Of course, some of my boys started asking “is his arm going to fall off? Is he dead??” Good grief.
They have a mini-class for the 2’s and 3’s, only if you’re helping with VBS. Brady was having a ball. I’d pass him in the hallway walking with his class and he’d wave at me. He even got his picture up on the screen at the end! It just warms my heart to see my little boy having fun and learning about Jesus and starting to make those memories that I experienced as a child.
This is my first year to help with VBS and I’m in charge of the 1st and 2nd graders, 20 of them to be exact. 12 boys. My word! I’m hoping the first night is the hardest since I’m still getting to know everyone and figuring out who will need more attention (or supervision) than others. My job is to lead them from music to crafts to games to snack, etc. Thankfully I have two helpers who can make sure we don’t lose anyone along the way.
One boy (not in my group) broke his arm in the gym last night. I felt so badly for him. I also felt badly for our coordinator because I know that’s just how she wanted to start off the week, with an ambulance pulling up to the church. My group was on their way to snack time in the gym, so we had to hold up in the hallway while they tended to the injured. Of course, some of my boys started asking “is his arm going to fall off? Is he dead??” Good grief.
They have a mini-class for the 2’s and 3’s, only if you’re helping with VBS. Brady was having a ball. I’d pass him in the hallway walking with his class and he’d wave at me. He even got his picture up on the screen at the end! It just warms my heart to see my little boy having fun and learning about Jesus and starting to make those memories that I experienced as a child.
1 comment:
Our church is doing the Power Lab VBS as well. I am working with kindergarten...20 kis and 12 ACTIVE boys as well. It's been interesting to say the least!
Post a Comment