And no, not the Hank Williams Jr. kind. I’m talking about the real family traditions that you observe in your home.
I love holidays. Love, love, love them. For fall we go to the apple farm and the pumpkin patch and decorate the house. Halloween is Boo at the Zoo and Trunk or Treat at church. Thanksgiving we watch the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day parade and this year we’re going to make turkey cupcakes. And Christmas………… Let’s not even get started on Christmas!
Other than the big holidays, I’m really trying to do something special for even the little ones. For birthdays we do streamers and balloons and the person’s favorite dinner. The 4th of July requires decorations and the annual Flag shirt from Old Navy. Valentine’s Day will be homemade valentines, a pink heart-shaped cake and little gifts for everyone.
These are the things he’ll remember when he grows up, just like I remember that every Christmas we had blueberry muffins for breakfast. Some of these things he might even take on to his own family.
What traditions from when you were growing up have you brought over to your own family? What new traditions have you started? Please share!
3 comments:
Traditions from when I was growing up that we do now: new pjs for christmas and opening one gift on christmas eve.
Favorite meal for birthday.
New traditions: Christmas eve early mass and then home for paninis (sp?) and lobster bisque for dinner. Driving around our neighborhood in pjs on christmas eve to look at the luminaries and lights.
Every holiday for my entire life, we have lunch at my grandma's house. Even after my granddaddy died, we still have father's day there. We also ride around on Christmas Eve after church and look at lights. Sounds like I've been a little slack on some of the other special-thingys!
We have the definite Christmas, birthday, and holiday traditions but I, too, struggle... worrying I am not doing enough when it comes to other traditions.
I think I will take a piece of paper and list all the months and then write little things we tend to do (i.e little trips, vacations, or just simply recipes) to reassure myself that we do plenty- I just don't usually recognize them as such.
Post a Comment