Tuesday, January 29, 2008

I've Officially Become My Mother and Other Assorted Thoughts

Yes, this morning I realized that I’ve become my mother. What brought me to this realization is the fact that I’ve started getting up around 5:30am, rather than my usual 6:30am. My mother is famous for getting up hours, and I do mean hours, before anyone else in the house just so she can have some quiet time.

My past routine was to sleep just as late as I could and still be out the door by 7:15am, 7;20am at the latest. I would jump out of bed, waking up Brady and rushing to get his milk and then run to get myself ready while he sat on the sofa and looked slightly dazed. Then I would get him dressed and we’d be out the door, usually forgetting something or leaving later than I had planned. This was a chink in my “Type A Personality” armor.

Getting up earlier happened by accident. A few evenings I was so tired that I went straight to bed and then had to shower in the morning. Then I realized “Wow, I have so much more time now.” I could get ready, not having to rush from one end of the house to another, get Brady’s clothes laid out before he was up, watch a little news and even work on my Bible study in the peace and quiet of the dark house. Brady gets up at 6:30am and I can spend time with him instead of whirling around like a tornado.

Sure, I still hit the snooze button a few times and pray that the clock is really wrong and I still have 3 or 4 hours left to sleep. But I love having all that extra time. This could become a habit.



Remember the recipe I posted yesterday? Well, I have quite a bit of the goat cheese and sun-dried tomatoes left over. Does anyone have any suggestions on ways I could use them?

One other thing to address today: Conversation hearts







What do they put in those little candies and why are they so addictive? I swear, I honestly cannot stop eating them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's so funny! I love getting up early for the reason you said: you feel like you have so much more time! I find I even feel better getting up earlier (but not too early).

Ginger Cookies and a Good Book said...

I'm getting up early too... that's my gym time. I just can't work it in at night. Once your body clock gets set to 5:00, it's not too bad.... well, some mornings it is. ha!!